Mandatory Tagging Requirement for Rich & Substantial Digital Media Components
All Convergent Rich & Substantial1 Digital Media Applicants are required to contact the CMF to request CMF Digital Analytics tracking codes within 6 months of their initial contract signing date or prior to the digital media component launch date, whichever comes first. Failure to comply will result in the project being placed in default. It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the CMF if an extension beyond this period is required.
1Rich & Substantial Digital Media Components as defined in section 3.2.DM of the Performance Envelope Program Guidelines.
Reporting Process for Rich & Substantial DM Applicants and Broadcasters Hosting these DM Components
Based on the Digital Media contractual agreements DM applicants or Broadcasters hosting Rich & Substantial DM components must begin reporting prior to or at the beginning of the launch of their project. Applicants are required to follow this process in order to be in compliance with their reporting obligations. The Basis for the reporting requirements can be found on the Digital Media Performance Measurement Framework Summary.
- The first obligation is to install CMF Digital Analytics tracking codes to the DM Component prior to the DM Component’s commercial release or live date of the DM Component. DM Components with multiple content types (i.e. video and games) must be identified and measured as separate components in order to track and report accurate measurement metrics. Applicants producing DM components that are not taggable due to the nature of the platform must contact DMreporting@cmf-fmc.ca, and we will determine how best to measure project metrics on a case-by-case basis. Complete and submit the CMF Digital Analytics Tracking form to receive your tracking script.
- All applicants are required to submit a gross sales report to Telefilm on the first day of February and August, in each year for the periods ending on the last day of December and June, for the first thirty-six (36) months following the date of disbursement of the Phase II Payment, and thereafter annually on the first day of February for the year ending on the last day of December for four (4) years. This is administered through your eTelefilm account. If you have lost your password or are having trouble logging in please contact email@example.com.
- Finally all applicants are required to complete a Success Report to the CMF at the same frequency rate as the gross sales. The Form can be found below and will aim at easily capturing the other inputs outlined in the Digital Media Performance Measurement Framework. For more information on the DMMF click here.
Digital Media Performance Measurement Framework
Over the course of 2011-2012, the Canada Media Fund (CMF) conducted a large-scale study in order to establish a unified approach to digital media performance measurement. This undertaking lead to the creation of the CMF’s Digital Media Performance Measurement Framework.
The conceptual model that constitutes the Digital Media Performance Measurement Framework was developed with the collaboration of a national advisory committee, composed of 32 industry stakeholders hailing from digital production, producers’ associations, broadcasters, and other funding bodies. The CMF’s objectives in regards to this framework are to:
- Define a standard set of digital media performance metrics and key performance indicators (KPI) that would apply to all CMF programs.
- Comply with the requirements of the Department of Canadian Heritage.
- Establish the bases for developing weighting factors that apply to digital media performance measurement, and which would ultimately serve to calculate Performance Envelopes.
The Digital Media Performance Measurement Framework provides:
- A system for classifying the various digital media projects funded by the CMF.
- Baseline metrics that will serve to calculate the key performance indicators (KPI) of digital media projects
The Digital Media Performance Measurement Framework in its entirety is available below as an archived document.